Re: RFC: What would be the "correct debian way" to clean up unwanted languages from an installation?

Am 14.11.2022 um 07:16 schrieb Anssi Saari:
> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 16:32:51 +0100
>> DdB <debianlist@potentially-spam.de-bruyn.de> wrote:
>>
>>> every backup contains loads of unnecessary language files, and i saw
>>> them scroll by during rsync. So one day, i wanted to get rid of those.
>>
>> You might take a look at the localepurge package.
>
> As I'm a little short on space on /, it's interesting but the
> description says:
>
> "This tool is a hack which is *not* integrated with the system's
>  package management system and therefore is not for the faint of heart.
>  Its interference can provoke strange, but usually harmless, behavior in
>  programs related to apt/dpkg, such as dpkg-repack, reportbug, etc.
>  Responsibility for its usage and possible breakage of the system
>  therefore lies in the system administrator's hands.
> "
>
> So while I'm not faint of heart, I think I'll rather resize my /
> partition. Even if it means moving partitions around a little.

Thank you for pointing at that. I looked at that package in a VM and
found: although its language discovery is better than mine, it is
failing to find some language files, that i my script would. And
besides: my vm's do not have an actual problem with space. It is more
the backups (and their snapshots) containing multiple versions thereof
that are troubling me. I think, i am going to look at their hack itself
in an intent to learn from it, instead of using it.