Re: ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO withDebian?)

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 2:01 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 07:15:07AM +0100, hw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2022-11-10 at 23:05 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
>... Here's a report
> by folks who do lots of HDDs and SDDs:
>
>   https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2021/
>
> The gist, for disks playing similar roles (they don't use yet SSDs for bulk
> storage, because of the costs): 2/1518 failures for SSDs, 44/1669 for HDDs.

Forgive my ignorance... Isn't Mean Time Before Failure (MTFB) the
interesting statistic?

When selecting hardware, like HDD vs SSD, you don't know if and when a
failure is going to occur. You can only estimate failures using MTBF.

After the installation and with failure data in hand, you can check if
the MTBF estimate is accurate. I expect most of the HDD and SSD
failures to fall within 1 standard deviation of the reported MTBF. And
you will have some data points that show failure before MTBF, and some
data points that show failure after MTBF.

Jeff