Re: ZFS performance (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO withDebian?)

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 07:15:07AM +0100, hw wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-11-10 at 23:05 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

[...]

> Why would anyone use SSDs for backups?  They're way too expensive for that.

Possibly.

> So far, the failure rate with SSDs has been not any better than the failure rate
> of hard disks.  Considering that SSDs are supposed to fail less, the experience
> with them is pretty bad.

You keep pulling things out of whatever (thin air, it seems). Here's a report
by folks who do lots of HDDs and SDDs:

  https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2021/

The gist, for disks playing similar roles (they don't use yet SSDs for bulk
storage, because of the costs): 2/1518 failures for SSDs, 44/1669 for HDDs.

I'll leave the maths as an exercise to the reader.

Cheers