Re: definiing deduplication (was: Re: deduplicating file systems: VDO with Debian?)

Le 09/11/2022 à 10:27, hw a écrit :
[...]
Yes, I've seen those.  I can only wonder how much performance impact VDO would
have for backups.  And I wonder why it doesn't require as much memory as ZFS
seems to need for deduplication.

It's *only* an hypothesis, but I would suppose that ZFS was designed (originally by Sun, hardware vendor) primarily with performances in mind, at the expense of strong hardware needs, while RedHat (primarily software editor before its acquisition by IBM) designed VDO more with TCO and integration of already existant customer infrastructure in mind, at the expense of pure performances.