Re: "usermod: user user is currently used by process" while using (trying to) thunderbird to back up my gmail account's data ...

Op 06-11-2022 om 16:38 schreef Albretch Mueller:
  on debian live:

$ uname -a
Linux debian 5.10.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.140-1 (2022-09-02)
x86_64 GNU/Linux
$

  I am running:

$ thunderbird --version
  Thunderbird 91.13.0
$

  to download all the data in my gmail account via POP3, but
Thunderbird seems to be making assumptions about where to put your
data and I haven't found a way to tell it where to put it;
If all you want to do is make thunderbird put (most of) its data elsewhere, you could change the profiles.ini file that exists in ~/.thunderbird. Mine has this:

[Install9238613B8C3D2579]
Default=/data/thunderbird

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/data/thunderbird
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

Except for the few files/directories that need to be in ~/.thunderbird, all thunderbird data ends up in /data/thunderbird. Of course, you should make sure the actual profile data is in the right location before you run thunderbird like this.

Regards,
Frank