Re: "usermod: user user is currently used by process" while using (trying to) thunderbird to back up my gmail account's data ...

On 2022-11-06, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ usermod --move-home --home "${_NEW_HOME}" "${_WHMI}"
> usermod: user user is currently used by process 1141

Like Greg said (from the man):

 CAVEATS
      You must make certain that the named user is not executing any processes when this command is
      being executed if the user's numerical user ID, the user's name, or the user's home directory is
      being changed.  usermod checks this on Linux. On other platforms it only uses utmp to check if
      the user is logged in.

      You must change the owner of any crontab files or at jobs manually.

      You must make any changes involving NIS on the NIS server.