Re: Peculiarities of Toshiba L200 2.5in HDD

On 26/10/2022 17:21, Dan Ritter wrote:
Max Nikulin wrote:
On 26/10/2022 10:42, David Christensen wrote:

So, you own one of these drives?

I do not expect anything directly related to the original subject in this
thread, but to not hijack this thread, you may ask your questions e.g. in
response to

No, no, you have found the most likely problem.

I expect that David may have some questions concerning this disk series.

Using a shingled drive with a short unload timeout is definitely
going to cause poor performance.

I do not think that the original problem is related to partitions. I would blame frequent shock events (and following timeout before allowing heads loading) rather than short unload timeout. Almost 15 years ago I had to spend enough time setting up laptop mode, configuring syslog, etc. when I noticed rapidly increasing heads load count quickly exhausting disk resource. I set some spin down timeout. I can not say that experience was terrible. Perhaps I just expected some freezes and sound of spinning up disk was an indicator that a few seconds later everything would work again. Heads loading is faster, unless blocked due to a recent shock.

Side note: It seems disk firmware works great since the disk is not dead after almost 50000 hits. I am surprised that such count does not affect the disk wearing (as it is perceived by firmware) at all: notice 100
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate -O--CK 100 100 000 - 48930I am not going to perform the following experiment with my shiny new
disk even though its result may be interesting. Smoothly wave the laptop up and down actively enough to achieve more G-Sense errors (likely accompanied by clanking sound due to heads unloading) and measure read speed during this procedure.

An SSD should not have any problem with shocks of vibration having reasonable magnitude.

Real reason of poor performance may be particular applications:
- some memory hungry one (a browser with a lot of tabs and heavy pages) that causes kernel to drop disk cache, - some program writing to the disk actively enough to overflow 128M buffer of the SMR disk.