Re: How to can make a partition in my hard disk ?

On 10/19/22 14:22, William Torrez Corea wrote:
My hard disk have the following partition:

/dev
/run
/
/dev/shm
/run/user/1000

I want to improve my partition; my OS is very slow.

*Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)*
*Xfce 44.16*
*Intel Core i7-4500 CPU @ 1.80Ghz x 4*
*7.7 GiB*

On 10/19/22 15:57, William Torrez Corea wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 4:32 PM Bret Busby wrote:

>> du -h /home

> 39G /home

> What command gives this information (HDD, MBR or GPT)?

When posting to a support mailing list like debian-user, it is good to provide the make and model of your computer, processor(s), memory module(s), and system disk. Providing URL's is helpful.

When posting terminal sessions to a mailing list, please post the complete terminal session -- prompt, command(s) entered, and output displayed. For example:

2022-10-19 17:33:17 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ cat /etc/debian-version ; uname -a
cat: /etc/debian-version: No such file or directory
Linux laalaa 5.10.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.140-1 (2022-09-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux

It is good to run the above commands and post the terminal session when posting to debian-users. This lets readers know what versions of Debian and Linux you are running, which is critical information for troubleshooting.

Are you aware that most Unix and Unix-like systems (including Debian) provide an online manual that you can access from the terminal? Commands and their manual pages are conventionally notated as the command name followed by the manual section number in parentheses -- e.g. fdisk(8). To read a manual page, run the man(1) command and provide the command name:

2022-10-19 17:58:19 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ man fdisk

There are certain system calls and commands with the same name. Provide the manual section number in such cases:

2022-10-19 17:58:19 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ man 8 fdisk

If you want to see what manual pages cover a given topic, you can use apropos(1) to search the manual:

2022-10-19 17:57:49 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ apropos disk
df (1)               - report file system disk space usage
fdisk (8)            - manipulate disk partition table
smartctl (8)         - Control and Monitor Utility for SMART Disks

fdisk(8) is the traditional tool for partitioning disks. The '-l' option lists information about a disk (please run the following command and post the terminal session):

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Note that this command is only available to the superuser. If you try to run it as an unprivileged user:

2022-10-19 18:06:30 dpchrist@laalaa ~
$ fdisk -l /dev/sda
bash: fdisk: command not found

Note '#' vs. '$' in the above prompts. '#' means root. '$' means an unprivileged useruser. This is yet another reason why you should post complete console sessions.

The system configuration files /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab tell Linux which partitions are encrypted and how the partitions and/or volumes are utilized (please run the following commands and post the terminal session):

# cat /etc/crypttab

# cat /etc/fstab

df(1) is the traditional tool for measuring filesystem usage. Run the following commands to get filesystem block and inode statistics (please run the following commands and post the terminal session):

# df /

# df -i /

Please elaborate on "my OS is very slow". Specifically, what applications are open on the desktop? What input are you providing? What happens?

Have you tested your power supply?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=atx+power+supply+tester

Have you tested your memory?

https://memtest.org/

Have you tested your system disk?  To start a long test:

2022-10-19 18:34:55 root@laalaa ~
# smartctl -t long /dev/sda

Wait for test to complete, then get the report:

2022-10-19 18:34:55 root@laalaa ~
# smartctl -x /dev/sda

Are you backing up your data to a HDD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, BD-ROM, etc.? (USB flash drives are risky for backups. SSD's are fast, but expensive.)

David