Re: Cheap NAS

On 18/10/2022 08:59, Stefan Monnier wrote:

- In my experience, whether `hdparm -S..` works on a USB drive depends
   on the USB<->SATA adapter in use.  If it doesn't, `hdparm` will tell
   you, tho.

I did go further but my impression was that in the case of USB disk enclosures sdparm may work with power saving parameters inaccessible to hdparm.

- On my WD drives, the `-S` seems to be completely ignored and instead
   the spin down time is chosen by the drive based on the APM setting
   (i.e. `hdparm -B...`).  I heard there's a `idle3-tools` thingy that
   may be able to provide finer control, but I never tried it.

I believed that idle3-tools is for Seagate. Have it got support for WD as well? I do not mind to have a proper tool for Toshiba. What prevents me from starting experiments is that I am afraid that a disk may be transformed into a brick.