Re: Cheap NAS

>> > What about just putting some drives in a desktop, and installing some
>> > free
>> > nas software like
>> > https://linuxhint.com/best-nas-software-linux
>>
>> OpenMediaVault work fine even on Orange Pi 3 LTS with usb drives.
>
> USB connected drives work fine - until they don't ... I learned that the
> hard way 15 years ago [LVM done that way and you'd lose a drive ...].

I know. Mitigate it by installing all to wooden board and don't use
LVM on external drives.
Orange Pi 3 LTS does not have another interfaces for really big
non-network drives, only one usb3.0 (up to 100-110MB/s on my hdd
drives, does not test on ssd) and two usb2.0 (up to 30MB/s)

> Also, most of the USB connected solutions rapidly become very, very slow
> with
> throughput - USB is not the best I/O solution for drives. [Very expensive
> USB3 drives perhaps - Corsair flash voyager GTX]

Yes, but for home use one hdd in usb3.0 is enough. I have no cables to
my notebooks, only single wifi point, so 1Gbit of storage connection
and 100MB/s of primary hdd does not main speed limiting factor.
It was very budget solution and will work until replaced to more
reliable but more expensive one. Or not replaced -- it's work and data
somtimes duplicates to another place.

All is ok, but you miss some info: "even on Orange Pi". Even.
It's worst case for OpenMediaVault. On normal PC with intel/amd
processor it work better.
I does not recommend to do office storage on this board (in office
server must be softraid on mdadm or hardware raid and normal backup
with checks for restoration), but for home it work and most time work
fine (but create backup of microsd).

--
Stanislav