Re: Cheap NAS

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 18:38:54 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:10:46 -0400
> > Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> > > What does "cheap" mean to you?
> >
> > $200 to $300 would be nice, but the cheaper the better. Some of the
> > more well known NASes cost $500 to $1000, which is excessive for a
> > box with CPU and some drive bays.
> >

> > > What does "not a PC" mean to you, and why?
> > >

> > The power and space requirements for even a mini-tower case are
> > excessive for this application. A NUC form factor would work, but
> > they don't have four or more SATA ports.
> >
> > Actually, the most important requirement is that I can install my
> > own Linux OS on it, rather than put up with some proprietary NAS
> > software.
>
> So what you actually want is the smallest possible system that
> will hold 4x3.5" disks and get that through a gigabit NIC, for
> less than $300.

Well, a NAS with removable bays is pretty sexy IMO. But by the looks of
units made for that purpose, the expense seems a bit excessive.

> You should look for a used HP Microserver. A sufficiently old,
> beat-up unit will easily fit into your desires for space and
> money.

Yikes, those are expensive new. E-Bay prices are much more reasonable.

> However, you won't be able to repair much if it goes wrong, and
> the power supply is the first thing to go.
>
> In the alternative: here's https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fzq49r
>
> - $255 plus RAM and disks. You can get 16GB and still fit under
>   $300.
> - 2 core Intel Celeron, will run Debian nicely (or FreeNAS, or
>   whatever.)
> - Cooler Master 130 mini-ITX case is as small as you can get and
> still fit 4 disks. In this instance, 1 x 2.5", 3x 3.5" and a 5.25"
> slot that will fit a fourth 3.5" disk with a $4 adapter.
>   15.7" x 9.5" x 8.2"

Thanks for the link. It's a place to start. I like the case a lot.

Incidentally, the ultimate purpose for this rig is about a thousand
DVDs and Blu-rays. Otherwise, I have no need for this kind of capacity.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com