Re: Cheap NAS

paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:10:46 -0400
> Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
>
> > paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> > > Folks:
> > >
> > > This has likely already been covered, but I don't know a way to
> > > search the archives for it.
> > >
> > > I'm interested in a desktop NAS with maybe 4 bays, which works with
> > > Linux (and free software), isn't hugely expensive, and is *not* a PC
> > > (you could do a NAS with a PC).
> > >
> > > Any suggestions would be helpful.
> >
> > What does "cheap" mean to you?
>
> $200 to $300 would be nice, but the cheaper the better. Some of the more
> well known NASes cost $500 to $1000, which is excessive for a box with
> CPU and some drive bays.
>

> > What does "not a PC" mean to you, and why?
> >

> The power and space requirements for even a mini-tower case are
> excessive for this application. A NUC form factor would work, but they
> don't have four or more SATA ports.
>
> Actually, the most important requirement is that I can install my own
> Linux OS on it, rather than put up with some proprietary NAS software.

So what you actually want is the smallest possible system that
will hold 4x3.5" disks and get that through a gigabit NIC, for
less than $300.

You should look for a used HP Microserver. A sufficiently old,
beat-up unit will easily fit into your desires for space and
money.

However, you won't be able to repair much if it goes wrong, and
the power supply is the first thing to go.

In the alternative: here's https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fzq49r

- $255 plus RAM and disks. You can get 16GB and still fit under
  $300.
- 2 core Intel Celeron, will run Debian nicely (or FreeNAS, or
  whatever.)
- Cooler Master 130 mini-ITX case is as small as you can get and still fit 4
  disks. In this instance, 1 x 2.5", 3x 3.5" and a 5.25" slot
  that will fit a fourth 3.5" disk with a $4 adapter.
  15.7" x 9.5" x 8.2"

-dsr-