Re: Cheap NAS

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 16:10:46 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > This has likely already been covered, but I don't know a way to
> > search the archives for it.
> >
> > I'm interested in a desktop NAS with maybe 4 bays, which works with
> > Linux (and free software), isn't hugely expensive, and is *not* a PC
> > (you could do a NAS with a PC).
> >
> > Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> What does "cheap" mean to you?

$200 to $300 would be nice, but the cheaper the better. Some of the more
well known NASes cost $500 to $1000, which is excessive for a box with
CPU and some drive bays.

> What does "not a PC" mean to you, and why?

The power and space requirements for even a mini-tower case are
excessive for this application. A NUC form factor would work, but they
don't have four or more SATA ports.

Actually, the most important requirement is that I can install my own
Linux OS on it, rather than put up with some proprietary NAS software.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster
Personal Blog: http://noferblatz.com