Re: sigc++ library missing object.h file

On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 at 08:54, Gary L. Roach <garyroach719@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to compile an older program from source code and keep
> getting the error missing sigc++/object.h file. I looked at the
> available versions of libsigc++ and found that none of them include an
> object.h sub directory. Does anyone know how to fix this. I really need
> this program (gspeaker). Removing the #<include> from the offending
> module only caused a slew of other errors. What would be in this
> object.h file? Is the data available to gin up a replacement? Please help!

Hi Gary

Do you mean 'gespeaker'?

'gespeaker' used to be in Debian but was *intentionally
removed* for releases later than Buster.

'gespeaker' is currently still available as a package in
the 'oldstable' Buster repository.

The history of the package is here:
  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gespeaker

and the history of its Debian bugs is here:
  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src=gespeaker

and the reasons for its removal from Debian are here:

So it is not just a matter of a small tweak to make it work.
Support libraries that that 'gespeaker' requires became
obsolete, and no longer exist in the Debian project.