Re: SSD Optimization - Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1

On 06/10/2022 12:29, Anssi Saari wrote:
piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> writes:

I am glad intel feels breath of competition on their neck and starting
to unlock ECC for *some* customer grade CPUs and motherboards. *Some* being:
"Speaking of Intel’s W680, it is necessary to note that this chipset has
essentially the same features as Z690, but given its workstation nature,
it lacks support for overclocking."

Looks like overclocking is there to at least to some extent but at least
what Supermicro W680 boards I could find in the retail channel, they
cost 400-550 US dollars so not exactly something I'd like to buy for an
all-around motherboard. So, happy with my consumer Asrock board and ECC
RAM and Ryzen.

400-500 USD for a motherboard is totally way beyond my budget. Server I
put together has been working non stop for like 4, 5 years now? It has
eaten through one UPS battery (just died of age) but server itself never
has any fundamental issues. And its very cheap, paid for itself many
times over.

So that's still way behind AMD. I got both ECC and OC. I overclocked ECC
memory from stock 3200 to sweet spot for 5800X CPU - 3600 MT/s. No
hassle, no errors, just few clicks from drop-down BIOS menu. And
disabled aggressive CPU single core boost which takes it to over-spec
~150W power draw, and also underclocked it a little. Entire system is
very quiet even under heavy 100% 16-threaded load thanks to these
modifications.

What do you use for cooling if I may ask? I've found my 5600X reaches a
thermal limit pretty quickly with any kind of torture test software and
slows down, with the stock cooler. I haven't really checked if that
happens in actual use but I already got a beefier Noctua
cooler. Unfortunately it doesn't install itself :)

Home server with AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (65W TDP) is with stock cooler. Works
very well with normal temperature range even on heavier CPU load. My
server pic: https://i.imgur.com/nguQRAC.jpeg

Workstation with 5800X (105W rated CPU) is very different story.

Motherboard manufacturers are overclocking Ryzens quietly by default,
and by a huge margin. They want to be the best in motherboard rankings.
They do it in several ways: by cheating temperature sensor and total
power draw. So AMD CPU thinks its nice cold and not too power hungry,
thinking it has won the silicon lottery, then it goes crazy and
overclock itself by boosting cores. I remember reading on Anandtech or
somewhere that this practice is so bad that 105W CPU can go as high as
150W while CPU and the user doesn't know what is going on.

So for my 5800X I use Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML280 all-in-one water
cooler. With this cooler and all settings on default (meaning ASUS
default settings), CPU will go crazy boosting to 4.7 or 4.8 GHz (that's
more than boost spec!) on some cores and fans will spin quite fast on
the AIO. On heavy load, temperature hits 90C and stays there, this is
thermal limit of the processor, it throttles to maintain this temperature.

I didn't liked that so I decreased voltage offset slightly in the BIOS,
disabled ASUS boost overclocking (PBOC? Or something? I don't remember
the name but I am sure your ASRock may have similar setting). Now I
never reach 90C, meaning CPU never throttles by temperature, but rather
by wattage. And without crazy boosting. I hope TDP actually stays in
range it supposed to (105W).

Your 5600X is 12 threaded 65W processor. So it should behave like my
1700, same TDP range, but 1700 never reaches throttling temperature.
Your never gen. CPU probably goes far beyond 65W in power draw. See if
you can tweak BIOS settings, that may save you not only buying new
cooler, but in electricity bill and CPU longevity as well :)

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/