Re: SSD Optimization - Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1

On 05/10/2022 05:07, David Christensen wrote:
On 10/4/22 18:41, piorunz wrote:

... fully supported ECC on Intel
processors but disabled because no "Xeon" in the name.

AIUI memory support on Intel platforms depends upon the chipset and the
processor.  For example, my Intel S1200V3RPS (C222 chipset) and
S1200V3RPL (C226 chipset) server boards support ECC memory modules with
specific Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, and Xeon processors.  Similarly, my
Dell PowerEdge T30 (Intel C236 chipset) supports specific combinations
of non-ECC or ECC memory with Pentium, Core i3, and Xeon processors.

STFW I see:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-enables-ecc-on-12th-gen-core-cpus

David

Good for you, proper server grade boards and Xeons.
I went rebel both my machines are customer grade, cheap Ryzens and ASUS
boards. Heck, my home server is almost all made of all USED parts from
eBay. Used first gen 16-thread Ryzen, used ASUS board with ECC, 4x4TB
hard drives from my previous builds, used PSU, used nvidia card for
basic nouveau display. Only ECC RAM is brand new and 2x SSDs.
Very cheap and affordable for everyone. Intel server grade equipment is
order of magnitude more expensive sometimes.

I am glad intel feels breath of competition on their neck and starting
to unlock ECC for *some* customer grade CPUs and motherboards. *Some* being:
"Speaking of Intel’s W680, it is necessary to note that this chipset has
essentially the same features as Z690, but given its workstation nature,
it lacks support for overclocking."

So that's still way behind AMD. I got both ECC and OC. I overclocked ECC
memory from stock 3200 to sweet spot for 5800X CPU - 3600 MT/s. No
hassle, no errors, just few clicks from drop-down BIOS menu. And
disabled aggressive CPU single core boost which takes it to over-spec
~150W power draw, and also underclocked it a little. Entire system is
very quiet even under heavy 100% 16-threaded load thanks to these
modifications.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀