Re: SSD Optimization - Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1

On 10/4/22 04:39, piorunz wrote:
On 04/10/2022 03:56, David Christensen wrote:

Of course, [my trouble-shooting strategy] is all premised upon devising a stimulus that reliably
reproduces the result.  When my HDD's/SSD's were having SATA cable
and/or drive rack problems, reading 10 GB from them typically produced
at least one error.

I cannot comment on that, I very very rarely have [SATA UDMA CRC] issues.
Last time I had it turned out to be faulty RAM (very rare bit rots), not
SATA cable.

I have moved the majority of my data to servers with ECC memory and ZFS mirrors, but I have little to no defense against memory errors on my desktops and laptops without ECC memory. So, I keep as little data as possible on the latter, and backup/ archive daily or sooner.

When the OP read 10 GB of the SSD using the d-i rescue shell, he was
applying a stimulus after changing the variable "OS instance".  The
result was different.  Therefore, the SATA UDMA CRC errors are related
to changing the OS instance

Maybe. But my bet this is hardware error. RAM or SATA Cable, or SSD
itself. Or motherboard, then this is dead in the water and laptop would
need to be recycled/sold as spares if this happens.

I would also suggest to OP at this point, to do full memtest86 by
passmark (UEFI only) https://www.memtest86.com/
Or old typical (but bugged sometimes) memtest86+ https://www.memtest.org/

Full run of either to make sure CPU/RAM is good.

+1 for the OP testing memory by any means. The BIOS in the OP's computer may include a test suite that includes memory tests. (I have STFW and the Dell Support web site for Inspiron 5547 System Setup documentation, but have not found anything.) If the OP has a HDD/SDD with a Windows instance, the OP should be able to run diagnostics via Microsoft Edge and the Dell Support web site.

Do you have a URL that documents bugs in memtest86+?

David