Re: update-initramfs outside of /boot

On 2022-10-01 17:26 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> Le 01/10/2022 à 17:16, Stefan Monnier a écrit :
>>> My /boot is 235 MB (from deb 10 installer), however in testing I now have
>>> 56MB initramfs files and update-initramfs cannot work for the 3rd kernel to
>>> install (and apt autoremove keeps 2 kernels, thus at upgrade there are
>>> temporarily 3 kernels).

The most sustainable solution is to increase your /boot filesystem,
which unfortunately might not be convenient.

>>      MODULES=dep
>>
>> and
>>
>>      COMPRESS=lzma
>>
>> in `initramfs.conf` can make a big difference.
>>

>>          Stefan
>>

> I alreaady have compres=zstd (should be better than
> lzma). modules=most because I do not like the "guess".

MODULES=dep should be fine as long as you do not intend to move your
disk to another machine.

> An d It would
> be a temporary mesuer since initramfs siuze keeps growing. I just do
> not see the point of building it in /boot rather than eg /tmp or
> another directory specified in conf.

It would be possible to create the initramfs in another directory, but
to ensure atomic upgrades it would have to be copied to /boot anyway
_before_ unlinking the old one (if any).  Otherwise the system could
become unbootable if it crashes at the wrong moment.

Cheers,
       Sven