update-initramfs outside of /boot

My /boot is 235 MB (from deb 10 installer), however in testing I now have 56MB initramfs files and update-initramfs cannot work for the 3rd kernel to install (and apt autoremove keeps 2 kernels, thus at upgrade there are temporarily 3 kernels).

I see that all the files of the initramfs are put in /boot before creating the compressed image, thus the need for place. Is there a way to cofigure update-initrams so that the creation of the im age is done in another filesystem before instalation in /boot ?