Re: update-initramfs outside of /boot

Erwan David composed on 2022-10-01 16:21 (UTC+0200):

> My /boot is 235 MB (from deb 10 installer), however in testing I now
> have 56MB initramfs files and update-initramfs cannot work for the 3rd
> kernel to install (and apt autoremove keeps 2 kernels, thus at upgrade
> there are temporarily 3 kernels).

> I see that all the files of the initramfs are put in /boot before
> creating the compressed image, thus the need for place. Is there a way
> to cofigure update-initrams so that the creation of the im age is done
> in another filesystem before instalation in /boot ?

Alternative options:

1-Move the oldest kernel files to another filesystem, or everything, from /boot.
You don't need them there until time to reboot.

2-You're not forced to keep two kernels. Remove the non-running one manually.

3-As Stefan already suggested, MODULES=dep. It's routine here. Big initrds take
more time to load, which can be quite noticeable on old hardware.

4-Is your /boot adjacent to your swap? If yes, easily recreate both, with smaller
swap, larger /boot. Don't forget to adjust fstab for UUID change of swap, or apply
the one from fstab on the new.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata