Re: Processors older than Intel Pentium 4

On Sat 16 Jul 2022 at 18:33:11 (+0100), Darac Marjal wrote:
> On 16/07/2022 16:26, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> > Is anyone running Debian 11 on a processor older than Pentium 4? I
> > ask because I would like to bump 32 bit OS support from i386
> > (1985) to i686 Pentium 4 and newer.
>
> Debian hasn't supported 80386 processors for many years. According to
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.en.html, the
> minimum processor for Debian Stable _is_ currently a 686-class
> processor.

Sure, and my oldest PC is running a *-686 kernel. So, the question
is, what's below the cutoff—what are we losing? On the Packages
page, my kernel is bottom of the heap, with the possible exception
of linux-image-5.10.0-13-686-unsigned (mine is signed).

> > Nearly all x86-based (IA-32) processors still in use in personal
> > computers are supported. This also includes 32-bit AMD and VIA
> > (former Cyrix) processors, and processors like the Athlon XP and
> > Intel P4 Xeon.
> >
> > However, Debian GNU/Linux bullseye will/not/run on 586 (Pentium)
> > or earlier processors.

Well, I have a "Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.50GHz". Unfortunately,
"M" does not exactly appear on either a "586←→686" scale, or a
"Pentium←→Pentium4" scale.

I know its cpu family is 6, and its flags are: fpu vme de pse tsc msr
mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss
tm pbe bts est tm2. Worryingly, I don't see "pae", which has been
fussed about in the past.

Cheers,
David.