Re: Processors older than Intel Pentium 4

Am Sat, 16 Jul 2022 15:40:08 -0500
schrieb David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>:

> Well, I have a "Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.50GHz". Unfortunately,
> "M" does not exactly appear on either a "586←→686" scale, or a
> "Pentium←→Pentium4" scale.

Pentium M (also some (not all) Celeron M) are based on the Pentium 3
because Pentium 4 created too much heat. Then the Intel Core (without
2) followed for mobile. Core (without 2) also doesn't support Intel-64
(amd64). Some newer Pentium Dual-Core also don't support i386. Core 2
supports amd64. Some Pentium 4 Prescott/Cedar Mill for socket 775 also
do.

Most CPUs used today support amd64, so I see no reason in restricting
the i386/i686 packages. If somebody uses i386, then because the CPU
doesn't support amd64. All amd64 capable CPUs have certain features
like SSE, SSE2 (and I think all of them have SSE3 too). amd64 packages
can enforce that a CPU has this because they won't break anything.