Re: Processors older than Intel Pentium 4

On 16/07/2022 16:26, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
Is anyone running Debian 11 on a processor older than Pentium 4? I ask because I would like to bump 32 bit OS support from i386 (1985) to i686 Pentium 4 and newer.

Debian hasn't supported 80386 processors for many years. According to https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.en.html, the minimum processor for Debian Stable _is_ currently a 686-class processor.

Nearly all x86-based (IA-32) processors still in use in personal computers are supported. This also includes 32-bit AMD and VIA (former Cyrix) processors, and processors like the Athlon XP and Intel P4 Xeon.

However, Debian GNU/Linux bullseye will not run on 586 (Pentium) or earlier processors.

Older processors might be possible in other architectures, though. Check the MIPS and the POWER architectures, perhaps?

Thanks

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/