Re: cups broken

On 7/13/22 15:15, Gareth Evans wrote:
On 13 Jul 2022, at 18:21, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
I give up, the driverless printer cups installs automaticaly cannot be deleted and has
taken over from the brother drivers that work, preventing me from using the printer at all.

So how do I disable the driverless junk? Is that a separate package that is removable?
cups doesn't even offer to disable this non-working garbage.
Thanks for any good clues.
Hi Gene,

Out of interest, which model printer(s) has the issue?
Brother MFC-J6920DW A huge tabloid capable printer/scanner

There are options in

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

to disable automatic queue creation for autodetected IPP/dns-sd/etc/etc printers.

You may find that

# lpinfo -v
first off, none of that stuff is available to the user unless he has hacked his $PATH statement.
The above produces:
gene@coyote:/etc/cups/ppd$ /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
file cups-brf:/
network socket
file cups-pdf:/
network ipps
network http
network lpd
network https
network beh
network ipp
direct usb://Brother/MFC-J6920DW?serial=BROG5F229909
direct usb://Brother/HL-L2320D%20series?serial=U63877H0N346913
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=230400
serial serial:/dev/ttyUSB1?baud=230400
file cups-x2go:/
network bjnp
network dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-30055c8a2dc8
network ipp://Brother%20MFC-J6920DW._ipp._tcp.local/ <-------------------
network lpd://BRN30055C8A2DC8/BINARY_P1
network tea4cups:socket
network tea4cups:lpd
serial tea4cups:serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial tea4cups:serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=230400
serial tea4cups:serial:/dev/ttyUSB1?baud=230400
network tea4cups:ipp
network tea4cups:ipps
network tea4cups:bjnp
network tea4cups:https
network tea4cups:http
network tea4cups:beh
direct tea4cups://

copy the ipp:// url for the printer concerned

Then

# lpadmin -p QUEUENAME -v IPP_URL_HERE -E -m everywhere

produces a functional queue
Using the arrowed return line above, what then does the lpadmin cmd line look like?

What is QUEUENAME? Arbitrary/anything?

Thanks Gareth, but I just posted an attcachment of the ppd it generated, looks busted to me. Let me repeat for probably the 20th time, that brothers drivers have been working flawlessly with this printer for several years and many installs since wheezy was a puppy.

You'll see that ppd specs the bottom tray, but it actually uses the top tray, that I normally keep $mucho dollars photo paper in. Removed in self defense of my bank balance until this behaves.

Thanks Gareth

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis