cups broken

I give up, the driverless printer cups installs automaticaly cannot be deleted and has taken over from the brother drivers that work, preventing me from using the printer at all.

So how do I disable the driverless junk? Is that a separate package that is removable?
cups doesn't even offer to disable this non-working garbage.
Thanks for any good clues.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis