Re: cups broken

gene heskett writes:
> I give up, the driverless printer cups installs automaticaly cannot be
> deleted and has
> taken over from the brother drivers that work, preventing me from using
> the printer at all.
>
> So how do I disable the driverless junk? Is that a separate package that
> is removable?
> cups doesn't even offer to disable this non-working garbage.
> Thanks for any good clues.

Hi Gene. If its a network connected printer, then the driverless
connection will be PROBABLY default to PCL5e/PCL6, (or maybe ipp,)
which the modern Brother printers support.

Older Brother printers do not support PCL and/or ipp, and require a
specific Brother printer set of drivers for network connectivity.

If its an older printer, you might attempt a re-install of the Brother
printer drivers, and cups(1) SHOULD remove any existing PCL/ipp
drivers during installation, (famous last words.) BTW,
x86_64-linux-gnu has to be installed on my machines for the the
Brother printer drivers to compile.

/etc/cups/ppd/* and/or /usr/local/Brother/* and/or /opt/Brother/* may
provide some information.

    John

--

John Conover, conover@panix.com, http://www.johncon.com/