Re: ALSA pcm problem

On 7/9/22 11:46 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Thomas George wrote:
On 7/8/22 7:30 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Thomas George wrote:
On 7/8/22 5:57 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Thomas George wrote:
speaker-test fails
Now try

speaker-test -C2 -Dhw:Generic
speaker-test -C2 -Dfront:Generic

and so on to see if you get output that way.

Also check the mixing levels with alsamixer; accidental muting
happens.

Result of suggested speaker tests: Playback open error: -16, Device or
resource busy

alsamixer: OK, no output channels muted
Is that on all attempts down the line of devices?

If so, I would guess that you have something claiming them
already - pulseaudio or jack or pipewire. Check for running
processes.

-dsr-

I killed pulseaudio and initially speaker-test worked.

then after playing an ogg file and doing some other routine tasks suddenly nothing worked, no sound, nothing.

I rebooted to load an older system, Buster. Of course everything worked there.

Rebooted to Debian 11. This reloaded pulseaudio and speaker-test worked.

Played an ogg file and volume control showed sound was from Alsa plugin using GP107 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI)

Volume control also showed three channels for Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller Analog Stereo labeled:

speach-dispatcher-dummy, speak-dispatcher-espeak-ng, and firefox

None of these was active.

I don't understand all this. My speakers are better than the monitor speaker and have both an analog and an optical connection to line out but are not used.

This is different from my original problem. I'm not sure how I got here but I would appreciate any help in unraveling  this.