Re: ALSA pcm problem

On 7/8/22 7:30 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Thomas George wrote:
On 7/8/22 5:57 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Thomas George wrote:
speaker-test fails

strace speaker-test finds "open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0" No such file or directory
What's the output of aplay -L ?

Have you tried specifiying one of those devices for
speaker-test?

Has this ever worked before? If so, when did it stop?

My sound system worked normally until yesterday using both the onboard
starship card and HDMI.  Then the output from the onboard card to line out
to the external speakers failed. Still HDMI sound.

Trying to trouble shoot this I ran alsa nreset which did not report any
problem, then tried speaker-test which failed

Here is the output of mplay -L

hw:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Analog
     Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Analog
     Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=Generic
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Analog
     Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Generic
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Analog
front:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Analog
     Front output / input
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Analog
     Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=1
     HD-Audio Generic, ALCS1200A Digital
     Direct sample mixing device

Now try

speaker-test -C2 -Dhw:Generic
speaker-test -C2 -Dfront:Generic

and so on to see if you get output that way.

Also check the mixing levels with alsamixer; accidental muting
happens.

-dsr-

Result of suggested speaker tests: Playback open error: -16, Device or resource busy

alsamixer: OK, no output channels muted