Re: ALSA pcm problem

Thomas George wrote:

> On 7/9/22 11:46 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > Is that on all attempts down the line of devices?
> >
> > If so, I would guess that you have something claiming them
> > already - pulseaudio or jack or pipewire. Check for running
> > processes.
> >
> > -dsr-
> >

> I killed pulseaudio and initially speaker-test worked.
>
> then after playing an ogg file and doing some other routine tasks suddenly
> nothing worked, no sound, nothing.
>
> I rebooted to load an older system, Buster. Of course everything worked
> there.
>
> Rebooted to Debian 11. This reloaded pulseaudio and speaker-test worked.
>
> Played an ogg file and volume control showed sound was from Alsa plugin
> using GP107 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI)
>
> Volume control also showed three channels for Starship/Matisse HD Audio
> Controller Analog Stereo labeled:
>
> speach-dispatcher-dummy, speak-dispatcher-espeak-ng, and firefox
>
> None of these was active.
>
> I don't understand all this. My speakers are better than the monitor speaker
> and have both an analog and an optical connection to line out but are not
> used.
>
> This is different from my original problem. I'm not sure how I got here but
> I would appreciate any help in unraveling  this.

pavucontrol (pulseaudio volume control) redirects audio as well
as controlling volume. Start it, go to the configuration tab,
and select "OFF" for your HDMI outputs and turn on the
appropriate analog outputs for your speakers.

Note that pulseaudio is fond of seeing an HDMI connection turn
off and on (i.e. the monitor turns off and on) as a request to
make that HDMI output the new active one.

-dsr-