Re: Upgrade issue with Debian 9 -> 10

On 7/3/22 08:28, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

Haven't tried that, but something else already helped: While it was idling with fsck in tty1, I went to tty2 and entered: apt --fix-broken install   ... and it did/resumed full upgrade. (Interestingly, this time it did not complain about no space in / and /usr.) When it finished, I tested startx and it brought GUI. Not sure now but I think that I then rebooted and it went it into GUI as expected. So far - so good. Few red [FAILED] warnings during CLI phase related to not starting UFV, Shorewall, and minissdpd services, so I need to check for that.

A subsequent apt --fix-broken install (or some other command) only complained about some initrd issue with kernel image 4.19.0-20-686 so I removed that image and stayed with 4.9.0-19-686.

After that, apt autoremove freed some 500MB of old stretch packages so now / is about 97% used, while /usr is still 100% used.

Post the output from

# fdisk -l (or $ sudo fdisk -l)
# vgdisplay -v (or $ sudo vgdisplay -v)

You likely will obtain some specific useful suggestions for moving forward that do not involve reinstallation.

I have a (now virtual) image of a machine that began life as Debian 1.3 (Bo) and has been upgraded, now, through 11.3, the current release, with an Oracle 8.0.5 DBMS that was installed around . The upgrades ultimately finished satisfactorily, although were occasional bumps in the road.

Regards,
Tom Dial

In thi situation, I might be tempted to save off any data in /home and any
options in /etc/ to configure mail and things like that and
do a reinstall with Debian 11 as a quick fix but that's a destructive
option.

Thanks.

Misko