Re: Upgrade issue with Debian 9 -> 10

On 7/3/22 02:31, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
Hi all,

Yesterday I attempted to upgrade Compaq Presario CQ56 laptop to buster. I followed instructions in 'Chapter 4. Upgrades from Debian 9 (stretch)', so all went well with a minimal upgrade (apt-get upgrade). When it finished, I went to the main part of the upgrade (apt full-upgrade). It ran well until some 40-45% and then started complaining about lack of disk space.

(apt -o APT::Get::Trivial-Only=true full-upgrade did not say I shall get into any trouble.)

So, at one point the full upgrade just exited. I tried to uninstall some old stuff but it was not possible. df -h showed that / and /usr were almost 100% used.

Shutdown & reboot seemed going normally, although including few [FAILED] warnings mostly with firewall failed to start and like. Majority went [OK] until the point where it was about to perform fsck on mounted volumes where it looks as an endless process occasionally repeating this line:

[nnn.nnnnnn] perf: interrupt took too long (nnnn > nnnn), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to nnnnn

where 'n' are numbers.

Ctrl-Alt-F2 brings tty2 from where I can log in, then sudo etc. df -h shows that filesystem /dev/mapper/localhost-root (mounted on /) is 99% used, and /dev/mapper/localhost-usr (mounted on /usr) is 100% used.

As it is (an encrypted) LVM, where /dev/mapper/localhost-home (mounted on /home) is only 21% used, I suppose that it shall be possible to resize partitions i.e. logical volumes so that some space of /home to be assigned to / and /usr

It seems that resize2fs, lvextend, and some related commands are available in tty2, but I am unsure about the proper order & syntax of those commands. Also, what about the ongoing fsck process in tty1? Any suggestion?

The KISS approach is to check in your system configuration files to a version control system, back up your data, take an image of the OS drive, remove the OS drive, insert a blank OS drive, do a fresh install, check out the old system configuration files to a side directory, configure the new OS instance, restore your data, and validate everything.

David