Re: google account say it will no longer deliver email

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 07:23:31PM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 6:06 PM Ash Joubert <ash@transient.nz> wrote:
> ...trimmed...
>

> > Two-factor authentication is when you need to confirm your login with an
> > SMS message or one-time pad or other second way of authenticating that
> > you are who you claim to be. 2FA is popular because users choose weak
> > passwords and share them between services. If users generate a unique
> > strong random password for every service, little is gained with 2FA, and
> > 2FA is then just a massive pain in the arse. But user behaviour is
> > unreliable.
> >

> In the last couple years many corporate and not-for-profit organizations
> have implemented
> 2-factor authentication internally. Even in the physical office many
> transactions require 2FA interaction.
> Where I am now that is also the case, and 2FA is configured to prompt with
> a choice between receiving
> the 2nd factor by SMS text message, voice call, or email. They're using
> Pulse 2FA. So your provider
> can do that too if they want to. But the whole point of 2FA is that there
> shall be a second response
> from a previously known location for you: phone number, email address, etc.
>
> That's the value added in exchange for Ash's "massive pain in the arse".
> Just making the 1st factor be
> a loong password is not equivalent to 2FA in any way. Machine reaching back
> to you is the difference.

The only "value added" is for those third-party providers: they know where
& when you are logging into which service and can monetize on it.

It's just the basic antipattern you can see everywhere in surveillance
capitalism: provide a service which interposes between users and the
things they do (search, communicate, marketplace, transport; in the
current case: identity management), try to make them dependent, monetize
the knowledge you gain about your users.

Not all 2FA is like that, of course. When your second factor is a
hardware dongle (best if you control it, i.e. it's open hardware and
free firmware, Nitrokey comes as near as it gets). Still, why?

A loong password is not "equivalent" to 2FA, that's right. Good
password management (of which length is but a part) is as secure
as 2FA.

Cheers