Re: chromium: "Your browser is managed"

On 2022-08-30 at 20:18, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

> On 31/8/22 7:36 am, Jon Leonard wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 04:27:09PM -0700, L L wrote:
>>
>>> I'm on bullseye, and installed chromium from the bullseye repos.
>>> In Chromium I get the message that the browser is "managed by
>>> your organization." I didn't do any special setup for work or
>>> school. Is the management part of the Debian packaging, or is
>>> something sketch going on?
>>
>> There's malware that does that.  The feature is usually for things
>> like company-wide security policy, but if you're not expecting it,
>> it's almost certainly malware.  It's presumably trying to spy on
>> you or serve you ads or some such.--
>
> The managed message is not malware. It's just part of the standard
> configuration in Debian.
>
> If it annoys you, remove the files in  /etc/opt/chrome/policies

I have no such directory (not even /etc/opt/chrome, or for that matter
/etc/opt/chromium), but I do have this message.

I do have /etc/chromium/, which has a policies/ subdirectory; the only
thing in that latter is a recommended/ subdirectory, and the only thing
in that is a file named duckduckgo.json.

dlocate tells me that that file was installed by the chromium package
itself. /usr/share/doc/chromium/changelog.Debian.gz tells me that this
was put in place in version 104.0.5112.101-1 (the latest as of this
writing), in response to bug #956012.

As it happens, you can look up information about the policies in effect
(though not, at least as far as I can tell at a glance, the paths to the
files they're coming from) by entering 'chrome://policy' into the Chrome
address bar.

On my system, the page that comes up from that shows a variety of
search-related configuration settings, several of which reference
DuckDuckGo. So that's almost certainly coming from that
recommended-policy file, although the details of "recommended" vs.
"enabled" and what you're supposed to do if you want to disable it (and
avoid having it come back on a future package update) I'm not sure.

--
   The Wanderer