Re: chromium: "Your browser is managed"

On 31/8/22 7:36 am, Jon Leonard wrote:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 04:27:09PM -0700, L L wrote:
I'm on bullseye, and installed chromium from the bullseye repos. In
Chromium I get the message that the browser is "managed by your
organization." I didn't do any special setup for work or school. Is the
management part of the Debian packaging, or is something sketch going on?
There's malware that does that.  The feature is usually for things like
company-wide security policy, but if you're not expecting it, it's almost
certainly malware.  It's presumably trying to spy on you or serve you ads
or some such.--
The managed message is not malware. It's just part of the standard configuration in Debian.

If it annoys you, remove the files in  /etc/opt/chrome/policies

In my case there is one directory and file that I think are a byproduct of installing a DICOM viewer

cat /etc/opt/chrome/policies/managed/weasis.json
{
    "URLWhitelist": ["weasis://*"]
}

Jeremy