Re: chromium: "Your browser is managed"

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 04:27:09PM -0700, L L wrote:
> I'm on bullseye, and installed chromium from the bullseye repos. In
> Chromium I get the message that the browser is "managed by your
> organization." I didn't do any special setup for work or school. Is the
> management part of the Debian packaging, or is something sketch going on?

There's malware that does that.  The feature is usually for things like
company-wide security policy, but if you're not expecting it, it's almost
certainly malware.  It's presumably trying to spy on you or serve you ads
or some such.

There's various web pages describing how to remove it; you'll probably need
to remove the directory that chromium is storing data in.  (Back up bookmarks
and such first.)

You'll also want to try to figure out how it got installed, and what else
might be compromised.

Jon Leonard