Re: must i consider zfs or lvm for smr large drive?

On 8/19/22 16:13, Samuel Wales wrote:
apologies for the subject header being kind of an opinion poll rather
than a question.  but it is meant as a question.

<snip>

Please post:

# cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a

What is the make and model of your computer?  BIOS or UEFI?

What is the make and model of your SMR drive?

What partition scheme do you use -- MBR or GPT?

How do you intend to use the partitions -- e.g. boot, swap, root, usr, var, home, data, online backup, offline backup, archives, images, sneakernet, other?

STFW "zfs smr disk drive":

* I see several reasonably current articles that advise against using ZFS with SMR drives; notably the Western Digital Red with SMR:

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-wd-red-smr-drive-compatibility-with-zfs.88413/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06/western-digitals-smr-disks-arent-great-but-theyre-not-garbage/

* I see a 2014 OpenZFS conference paper regarding host-aware SMR. I do not know if this technology made it into OpenZFS, or if Debian includes it:

https://openzfs.org/w/images/2/2a/Host-Aware_SMR-Tim_Feldman.pdf

STFW "btrfs smr disk drive", nothing stands out.

One option would be to benchmark all three choices (ext4, btrfs, zfs). Make sure to cover all the use-cases, including disaster recovery.

Another option would be to replace the disk with a CMR disk (e.g. refund, exchange, sale).

David