Re: must i consider zfs or lvm for smr large drive?

hello,
idk if i got your question(1) right, but i am a zfs user since about 10
years and built my infrastructure around it.
But i would not use that for a single drive, as that would right from
the start have zfs not being able to do, what it is excellent at:
redundancy. Furthermore, zfs needs huge amounts of ram in order to run
reasonably fast (and even much more of it, i you want to use deduplication).

If i use it for a single drive, i would at the very least consider
setting "copies=2" to have at least some redundancy for data, i value.

But zfs has advantages, i love it, and it toook only several months of
getting used to it. Still: not in your case.

BTW: You did not state clearly (or i missed it), what exactly is your
goal you want to achieve by using zfs. It has - in short - 3 valuable
purposes: It is a software RAID, a volume manager and a filesystem, all
in one. If you just need a volume manager, lvm should do the trick.

Since you are using an encyption layer, you might be interested to know,
that zfs offers encryption since a few years too. I never used it, so
cannot say anything about it.