Re: must i consider zfs or lvm for smr large drive?

Am 20.08.2022 um 02:43 schrieb David Christensen:
My SOHO file and backup servers are FreeBSD with encrypted ZFS root.  I
use single 2.5" SSD's for the OS drive.  I hacked the installer to set
copies=2 for boot and root, and enabled mirror for swap.

On 8/20/22 00:30, DdB wrote:
> Hey! This sounds like you know, what you are doing, and more advanced
> compared to me. Sorry for having stated the obvious, then.
>
> Have fun with it. :-)
> DdB

The obvious choices are one drive and RAID. Both are supported by the Debian and FreeBSD installers.

I prefer one drive per OS image, and keep all of my data in RAID on a file server. The FreeBSD installer is a shell script, and already features encrypted ZFS on root. Adding "copies=2" was straight-forward. The key was being able to read and write Bourne shell scripts.

David