Re: Customizing firefox-esr.

On 6/28/2022 11:04 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
Sadly, Firefox and Chrome no longer behave like regular X applications.
They're written by and for Microsoft Windows users, and they behave
the way an MS Windows user expects.

The concept that anyone would want the original behavior, or that an
option should be offered to the user, is not one that will occur to
these developers.

It would be nice if they would provide a config option for this.

But I don't think this is a windows vs Linux or whatever issue. It's how people use browsers.

The average user doesn't type URLs anymore.

The average user wants to go to facebook and instead of typing:

facebook.com

they type facebook

and expect either facebook to open or google to find it for them

If they want yahoo mail, they don't type mail.yahoo.com

They type:

yahoo mail login

And click on the first result.

The only time they care about the URL is to copy and paste it into some email or chat program.

I think this is the motivation for the current behavior.

Users want to copy the current URL, or wipe it out and type a new search string (not a URL).

Bijan