Re: Customizing firefox-esr.

On Tue 28 Jun 2022 at 06:28:06 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> I'm interested in two details of firefox-esr behaviour.
>
> (1) The usual result of a click of the mouse pointer in a graphical
> text editor is a setting of the insertion point.  Dragging the pointer
> selects an extent.
>
> A click of the pointer in the address bar of firefox selects the
> complete URL. Does anyone have a simple configuration so that a click
> sets the insertion point without selecting?

A second click?

> Dragging selects as in an editor?

After the second click, dragging works as normal.

I can't see any likely configuration options under urlbar (58 options)
or click (20).

BTW, if you want a workaround for when you click the urlbar
and accidentally clear it by typing something, then a quick way
of restoring the text is to rub out your mistake, followed by
Ctrl-PageUp Ctrl-PageDown¹. (Be aware that the restored text is
still selected.)

> (2) Is there a simple configuration so that the "Find in page" bar is
> always present at the bottom of the window?  Present when firefox
> opens and remaining present until quiting.

My recollection (which could be faulty) is that that was the behaviour
in the past, when the sole Find text was used for all the tabs.

Now, each window can have a different Find string, so that searching
for foo in one tab doesn't wipe out an active search for bar in another.

I think the configuration is called findbar.*, but I don't see
that amongst its options to change:

findbar.entireword	false
findbar.highlightAll	false
findbar.iteratorTimeout	100
findbar.matchdiacritics	0
findbar.modalHighlight	false

Perhaps internet-searching might help you. (I don't even know what
all the browser widgets and decorations do.)

¹ ie switch tabs, and switch back.

Cheers,
David.