Re: new install: configuring ethernet strangeness

On 6/18/2022 10:21 AM, John Covici wrote:
Hi.  I just installed Debian Bullseye on a refurbished computer which
I am going to use as a voip server.  Now, due to my ignorance, at the
very end of the install, I selected to use #12 which said standard
system items.

Well, to my horror, I got gnome with all its dependencies.  I ran
apt-get and purged all the gnome items.  However, my outgoing
connection instead of being in /etc/network/interfaces is now managed
by network-manager.  I don't want to use the gui, but there seems to
be no good way to configure the connection, should I need to do so.
/etc/systemd/network is  empty.

So, how can I either get back to /etc/network/interfaces or somehow
manage the existing connection which is buried in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/  and is readable, but I could
never change it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If I may, redo the install from scratch and use '11' to only install
'standard system items' ! :)

To answer your question specifically, you can 'purge' networkmanager
with something like:

$ apt-get --autoremove purge <pkgs>

--
John Doe