Re: new install: configuring ethernet strangeness

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 04:21:35AM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> Hi.  I just installed Debian Bullseye on a refurbished computer which
> I am going to use as a voip server.  Now, due to my ignorance, at the
> very end of the install, I selected to use #12 which said standard
> system items.
>
> Well, to my horror, I got gnome with all its dependencies.  I ran
> apt-get and purged all the gnome items.  However, my outgoing
> connection instead of being in /etc/network/interfaces is now managed
> by network-manager.  I don't want to use the gui, but there seems to
> be no good way to configure the connection, should I need to do so.
> /etc/systemd/network is  empty.
>
> So, how can I either get back to /etc/network/interfaces or somehow
> manage the existing connection which is buried in
> /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/  and is readable, but I could
> never change it.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> --
> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
>          John Covici wb2una
>          covici@ccs.covici.com

Hi John,

I find that nmtui - the text interface is quite useful. It is persistent -
configuration will stick around.

For anybody else: if you really don't want a GUI at all: if you deselect
both GNOME and Debian desktop components in the tasksel step of the Debian
installer then you should get no GUI components. If you then explicitly
select standard install components lower down in tasksel, you will get
some X Windows libraries but you will end up with no GUI and no desktop
environment as far as I recollect. It's necessary to uncheck both the
Debian desktop environment AND the default of GNOME which is selected.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater