Re: xterm. Was Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Sun 12 Jun 2022 at 12:20:05 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/12/22 10:01, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 12, 2022 07:53:21 AM gene heskett wrote:
> > > What I do have is konsole and termit, no xterm.
> > For me, konsole does fine -- I can C&P from it with the mouse (and, presumably,
> > keystrokes).
> Well, I gave up and did another 29t install, but in trying to leave
> out the dependecy hell of broken packages trying to install
> tde-trinity so I could get back to familiar, bug free services. but I
> had to install some gfx just to get x or wayland.
>
> That's not the important first impression however. Installing without
> a root pw, I am prevented from doing anything to the system setup cuz
> everything but synaptic wants a root pw, and does not accept my pw as
> user 1000 for sudo. Security seems entirely too paranoid. Ant time I
> change back to the gfx screen, I have to go thru the whole login
> rigermarole so I waste about a minute because the gfx are so slow.

You can give root a password using sudo.

> Now, I really need a terminal for alt-ctl-F3 that does support the
> mouse. but the main package manager, which doesn't seem to have a name
> but is 100% graphical, refuses to show me a recognizable terminal of
> any kind.

It's not clear whether you have become fixated on "my instructions"
(upthread), but the idea was that you only needed the mouse to cut and
paste on the remote installer's PC, not the actual target of the d-i.

But it also sounds, from other posts here, that you're only trying
to get the mouse, and cut and paste, to show us the partitioner's
listing, and the absence of certain drives.

AFAICT, if you weren't to mess with the UEFI-BIOS trying to "avoid
using UEFI", you'd probably see all your drives and be able to get
on with your primary task, to install a system that works.

> Also, installing on /dev/sda, a new 1T samsung, has destroyed my
> ability to do a dual boot by selecting the other drive in the bios
> menu. It gets stuck, probably looking for the raid, says press enter
> to continue and when I do it just gets stuck in the same loop.
>
> and without blkid, I can't fix that. And to fix that, I need bllkid,
> which isn't installed, and I can't install its parent pkg with
> synaptic or apt due to broken packages that apt-get --fix-broken
> refuses to fix.
>
> I have the old bullseye install mounted to /mnt/sdc#'s so I have
> access and could probably run blkid from there but where is it? Where
> does it normally live? I'll hunt around and see if I can find it in
> the other install.

If blkid is missing, so is lsblk, and it looks as though your system
is entirely broken from a Debian point of view, because util-linux
is Priority: required.

Cheers,
David.