Re: xterm. Was Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On 6/12/22 10:01, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Sunday, June 12, 2022 07:53:21 AM gene heskett wrote:
What I do have is konsole and termit, no xterm.
For me, konsole does fine -- I can C&P from it with the mouse (and, presumably,
keystrokes).
Well, I gave up and did another 29t install, but in trying to leave out the dependecy hell of broken packages trying to install tde-trinity so I could get back to familiar, bug free services. but I had to install some gfx just to get x or wayland.

That's not the important first impression however. Installing without a root pw, I am prevented from doing anything to the system setup cuz everything but synaptic wants a root pw, and does not accept my pw as user 1000 for sudo. Security seems entirely too paranoid. Ant time I change back to the gfx screen, I have to go thru the whole login rigermarole so I waste about a minute because the gfx are so slow.

Now, I really need a terminal for alt-ctl-F3 that does support the mouse. but the main package manager, which doesn't seem to have a name but is 100% graphical, refuses to show me a recognizable terminal of any kind.

Also, installing on /dev/sda, a new 1T samsung, has destroyed my ability to do a dual boot by selecting the other drive in the bios menu. It gets stuck, probably looking for the raid, says press enter to continue and when I do it just gets stuck in the same loop.

and without blkid, I can't fix that. And to fix that, I need bllkid, which isn't installed, and I can't install its parent pkg with synaptic or apt due to broken packages that apt-get --fix-broken refuses to fix.

I have the old bullseye install mounted to /mnt/sdc#'s so I have access and could probably run blkid from there but where is it? Where does it normally live? I'll hunt around and see if I can find it in the other install.

Cheers all, Gene Heskett.