Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 07:13:38AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, 10 June 2022 08:23:26 EDT gene heskett wrote:

> But thats not long enough to show whats beyond the samsung 870, their's
> another alpha label that I'ds the tech in the drive, which in this case
> would be positive ID of the correct drive, letters QVC, not EVO like the
> earlier production raid drives which are all EVO's. This drive I am
> trying to use for the next install, is plugged into the socket labeled
> SATA6G_5 on this Z370-AII motherboard.  Is this a problem? IDK.

Shouldn't be.

Are you using UEFI / legacy MBR/BIOS to boot this drive ?

You can use a completely blank drive: although others suggest using gparted
or similar beforehand, the partitioner is smart enough to do it for itself.

Grub is the _last_ thing to be written, more or less.

Grub-efi requires an ESP partition - which is FAT formatted - at the beginning
of the disk and the rest can happily be one large LVM drive.

Note: For Bullseye, the default swap size is 1G. That shouldn't matter to you
because you have swap on your RAID.

> > Based on that theory, I may repartition that drive with a 4gig /boot
> > and the rest as one big / one, I have run into that a few times
> > before.

That's effectively what LVM will do for you ...

> Welp, I did that, but the installer refuses to set the bootable flag on
> that drive, it blinks the remote screen, but when its repainted, its
> still off. I went thru the loop, even made a new gpt partition table, but
> no joy. and all I have to show for it is a 5 megabyte plus jpeg from my
> camera so you'll just have to take my word for it.

See above: how are you installing?

> I've not had a problem setting the bootable flag before.  What might be
> the reason?
>
> And it took 3 passes to get rebooted to the old drive because something
> happened to the raid but it apparently fixed itself. The bios, apparently
> didn't see /dev/sda at all the first time, and it wasn't touched that I
> know of.
>
> Thanks all, David Wright in particular.
>
> > > Thanks David.

> > > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett.

So: under UEFI boot and (encrypted) LVM, I have a partition layout
something like this:

537M - FAT - at the very beginning of the disk - the ESP partition - mounted
as /boot/efi

512M - ext2 - mounted as /boot

998G - LVM

1G swap