Re: setting path for root after "sudo su" and "sudo" for Debian Bullseye (11)

[reinserted the copy to list: others tend to have better
ideas than me]

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 06:15:57AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 11:28 <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure the OP is now able to locate that "security policy" config
> > and change it to taste. "--preserve-env=PATH" is quite a mouthful
> > and one doesn't want to type it all the time :-)
>

> I'm zeroing in on the solution your Socratic method is nudging me toward,
> but, at the CLI, I get results that are confusing, to wit:

Socratic -- I fear you over-estimate me badly :-)

>     $ sudo -i raku -v
>     Welcome to Rakudo...
>
> but
>
>     $ sudo -E raku -v
>     sudo: raku: command not found
>
> and also
>
>     $ sudo --preserve-env raku -v
>     sudo: raku: command not found

Note that the key --preserve-env takes an arg. That would be

  --preserve-env=PATH

to pass on the PATH environment variable. The arg is a comma separated
list of environment variable names.

Cheers