Re: setting path for root after "sudo su" and "sudo" for Debian Bullseye (11)

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 03:54 Kamil Jońca <kjonca@o2.pl> wrote:
Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> writes:

> I need a special path setting for root after both "sudo" and "sudo su." How can I set that up correctly?

It is quite misterious for me.
What is the purpose of "sudo su" instead of plain "sudo" or "sudo -i"

KJ, and others, let me describe my specific use case:

As a normal user, I have developed a single script written in Raku (https://raku.org) that does a lot of work to collect all requirements to build and install the latest OpenSSL and Apache2 httpd. The install step requires:

    $ sudo ./myprog install

or

    $ sudo su
    # ./myprog install

The "myprog" program has a shebang line that requires a path to the pertinent Raku executables. That line looks like this:

    #!/usr/bin/env raku

I have for years now not used the many variants of su, just "sudo" alone for one-off use and "sudo su" when I'm doing several things as root. That serves me well for most everything I do on Debian.

I am not a full-time sysadmin, so I don't spend a lot of time with the hard details--I try to simplify things as much as I reasonably can.

Thanks.

-Tom

P.S. You Perl people should seriously investigate Raku--it's a better Perl, Perl on steriods!