Re: AW: AW: AW: Here Newbie---Amateur in Linux...Problem: Debian LXDE cannot boot.. Is it destroyed?//Second try Hotmail bug Sorry

On Tue, 26 Apr 2022 09:32:23 -0400
Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> Firmware is executable code that runs inside of a device (such as a
> network interface) rather than in your CPU.
>
> Many modern devices require some non-free firmware in order to perform
> their duties correctly.  This is *especially* the case with wireless
> network interfaces, but also applies to video chipsets and other things.
>
> If your devices are old enough, you may not need any.  If your devices
> are newer, you probably need some.

Just FTR, some rather old wired ethernet adaptors, such as the Broadcom
NetXtreme II (BCM5716) in my Dell R210 II, also require non-free
firmware to function:

https://packages.debian.org/buster/firmware-bnx2

--
Celejar