Re: email lacks sender address

On 2022-04-26 09:25:48 -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> What I get out of this is that my MUA (mutt) might generate a message
> that lacks a local account name (I assume it is defined by the content
> of /etc/mailname, whicn in my case happens to be lenin.histomat.net).

No, /etc/mailname is just the FQDN (or something simpler in
some cases).

You should just use

  set use_envelope_from

in your muttrc, and provide a valid "From:" header.

(I use "set envelope_from", but envelope_from is actually the old name
for use_envelope_from.)

And make sure that $sendmail is equivalent to
"/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi".

> Another question. The implication is that if the three lines are
> present in the exim configuration it whould allow the user to specify
> the envelop sender.

FYI, I haven't touched these 3 lines.

> Is this merley a statement of fact or is the template file used to
> construct the exim configuration?

Yes, it is used to generate the configuration file, which is
"/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated".

> In exim configuration I hide outgoing local mail name and provide
> the domain name without prepending host name. I assume
> this is irrevant and is merley a cosmetic isaue. Is that so?

Probably. But if you provide the correct addresses with Mutt,
this shouldn't matter.