Re: updatedb.mlocate

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 09:34:42AM +1000, David wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 at 09:24, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > systemctl disable mlocate.service   before you fiddle with its
> > configuration, then enable it afterwards.
>
> Hi, I think you need "stop" and "start" there, not "disable" and
> and "enable".
>
> Or maybe "systemctl daemon-reload" although I'm not sure
> about that because I don't know much about systemd.
>
> But a quick test here shows that a "disable" command on a
> running service does not stop it.

It's not a running service.  It's a service that's started by a timer.
The other David's proposal was to disable it, in the hope that this
would prevent the timer from being able to start it.

However, I don't think that would work.  I think you'd need to mask it.

That said, I have not tested either of those things.